Sunday, August 22, 2010

On the winding down of severe thunderstorm season

I've been putting off writing this post for a little while now. It sucks to think about it.

When I say "it" I mean the end of severe thunderstorm season. This of course happens every year, and every year I get the blues about it. It's not only the winding down of severe thunderstorm season but also the winding down of summer itself. Now, last year proved that summer can extend almost into October, but severe thunderstorm season isn't so generous. Usually.

Still, the latest in the year I've ever heard thunder in Winnipeg is the end of November. Not severe, but rumbly.

In 2008 and 2009, my melancholy was exacerbated by the fact that I didn't see any tornadoes those years. This year I had exactly one tornado day (although I could have had 4, had the right decisions been made) and that beats the crap out of zero. That day produced 4 tornadoes from 2 storms, what we call the Campo day.

I will miss you, summer and severe thunderstorms. Until next year.

3 comments:

  1. It sucks to think about is right! But 2010 has been a tremendous season down in the alley and up here on the prairies for thunderstorms. Personally, I've had a great year in terms of storms and tornadoes. (If you compare my stats with Andy Gabrielson's, my year sucked!) I experienced a few busts along the way as well as extreme disappointment missing the May 22 Bowdle, SD wedge due to downed powerlines and muddy roads. Another disappointment for me is having no lightning photos, yet. I am still hoping for a nocturnal close by before the white stuff flies. I know Sask and Manitoba has their fair share of great storms (Raymore, SK) but Alberta had many supercells this summer, notably the string of pearls in the Hanna/Brooks region on July 16th, the amazing LP mothership on July 25th, the rare foothills tornado on July 30th, and many more. The July 12th Calgary hail event needs to be mentioned since its the costliest in Canadian history, and the July 23rd supercell in SD has to be brought up for dropping the world record sized hailstone. Congrats to Dave and Justin for witnessing the "Campo Day", a day with low expectations turning out to be arguably the best and most beautiful supercell/tornado event of 2010. What a year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Brandon.

    I also want to congratulate you as well for being the only person on some of those monsters near the foothills. Your dedication is unbelievable and it paid off in terms of the photographs you've taken.

    Here's to hoping for a great chase year in 2011

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... is still depressed about missing out on that cell July 16th!! I am happy however about working for a few of those days. . . July 12 being my first shift w/o trainer!! Intense!
    Good job to all of you for getting something tornadic this year!!!

    Here's to next year and going on my first american chase trip!!! This damn tornado virginity will be broken yet!! haha I can't wait!! :)

    ReplyDelete