Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 3

Today we're taking off north out of Norman. The moisture sees to be in place everywhere east of I-35 and south of South Dakota. So figuring out where to go will be more of a determination of wind shear, as well as logistics.

Therein lies the problem.

The better deep shear will be south, with a 50 knot jet streak emerging out of Texas. Still, though, 40 knots farther north isn't too shabby.

The better low-level shear looks to be in Kansas, with a diffuse surface low right now near Dodge City. This will likely move eastward, backing the winds in its path.

So we have decided to head to Wichita for lunch, then reassess. If I were a betting man, I would put my money on southeast KS, from Emporia to Coffeyville.

The next couple of days are interesting, with a potential cap bust in northeast Oklahoma tomorrow, then two days of triple point play in Kansas and Nebraska. After that, it appears the Gulf will shut down for a couple of days, so we will likely be heading home at that point.

1 comment:

  1. Sitting here in the SPC. Ryan just issued a MD, there is some optimism for things to go relatively soon in E NE...then filling into KS later. KS still looks pretty capped and deep-layer shear not ideal. Guys here giving me a hard time as I'm going to miss the action over the next day or two...bad for me but good for you. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete