Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day the last: retrospective

So we're now on our way back home, after a somewhat anticlimactic trip. This year, aside from a couple of little errors here and there that didn't really cost us, we by and large were in the right place. Too bad we can't say the same thing about moisture. A couple of weeks ago, a cold front smashed through the US and shunted all the deep moisture into the Gulf of Mexico. Since then, a return southerly flow has been reluctant to set up and as a result, the available moisture has been just what was already in place. So instead of May dewpoints in the low 20s, we were looking at may dewpoints in the low teens. Marginal moisture for this time of year. So I'm feeling a little discouraged--not for myself, as I have many more chase days planned this summer, and not for Hobson, because he's going to chase every cumulus cloud for the rest of the summer, but for the other guys who don't get too much of a chance to chase. This would put me off chasing for a while if it were me. I always go back to wxdog's mantra: there'll always be more storms. Man, I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment