Monday, May 10, 2010

Wrap-up of May 10, 2010

Well, sort of a wrap-up. Storms are still going and likely producing as I type this. But the daytime show is done. And was it ever a doozy. Justin called me this afternoon and we briefly debated, once again, his term. Don't worry, we're not coming to blows over it. I just like to razz him a little bit and he is very adept at razzing right back.

I still think it wasn't a tornadopocalypse, though. :P

Anyhow, as I type this there have been 37 tornado reports (reports on this may or may not be duplicates) and 57 hail reports including 10 larger than 2 inches, and 3 at 4 inches or larger.

Here's the map I have to work with at this time:



The storms went a bit farther east than expected and, unlike the NAM was depicting last night, did actually go into Texas. This just tells me to be skeptical of model output. As if I weren't already.

Anyhow, this was a well-forecast event. The moderate risk issued yesterday and the high risk issued today really brought this to the fore. Unlike previous high risks I've seen (and chased) where relatively little went on, this one panned out pretty close to the forecast. VORTEX2 likely got some great data from the day. Chasers were likely upset about the storm speeds.

In other words, a classic severe weather setup in the southern plains.

No comments:

Post a Comment